1 Head Cabbage
5 slices bacon
Salt and Pepper to taste.
• Fry the five pieces of bacon in a deep frying pan or dutch
oven on top of the stove. You need a deep pan, with a lid.
• Core and chop the head of cabbage.
• Your bacon may be crispy by now - remove from pan
• Turn the heat down to simmer or just above.
• Put all the cabbage in the pot and toss to spread the
bacon fat around a bit.
• Put the lid on for 10 minutes.
• About every 10 to 15 minutes Toss the cabbage again, but
put the lid back on between tossing sessions.
• It takes about 45 minutes to cook cabbage to fork tender.
• Now break up the bacon over the top, put the lid back on
and cook another 5 to 10 minutes.
• Your cabbage at this point will have cooked down about
1/4 to 1/3 in volume. This is OK.
• Some of your cabbage may be a little browned, this is OK too.
For all the steps above this is a very easy and simple way to
cook cabbage as a lovely side dish. All the vitamins stay in
where as with boiling or steaming, they flush into the water.
Eileen’s Fried Cabbage – A Visual Aid.
We served our cabbage with grilled Pork Chops - simply perfect!
Fork tender pork chops and fried cabbage - YUM!